I made up my very first crock-pot recipe. It was kind of a last minute necessity and it turned out delicious so I thought I would share. I always follow directions with crock-pot meals so it was a big deal that I ‘winged it’ and turned out so good.
- 1 cup long grain rice (do not use quick rice)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup water (or you can do 2 cups chicken broth instead of water)
- 1 lb. chicken strips or chicken breast
- 1 jar of curry sauce (the kind that has power and sauce)
- 2 or 3 handfuls of fresh green beans
- Spray the crock pot with nonstick spray. (*important*)
- Place the rice in bottom of the crock pot.
- Lay chicken on top of the rice.
- Sprinkle curry powder on top of the chicken.
- Add the cup of chicken broth and cup of water. Do not mix, just make sure the liquid covers all the rice.
- Dump the curry sauce on top everything. Do not mix.
- Add the fresh green beans on top. The green beans will get steamed while the chicken and rice cook.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook on high for 3 and 1/2 hours.
A few months back Aldi was selling these curry sauce jars. I grabbed one and it has been in my pantry ever since. It has yellow curry powder attached to the lid and delicious sauce in the jar.
The other night when I got home from work I realized that we did not have time to cook dinner, eat and make it to church on time. I also had a pedicure scheduled and Paul was going shooting so I knew we would just have to have dinner after church was over. I decided to use the trusty crock-pot so we would have a warm meal ready when we got home late. I remembered the curry in the pantry and created my very first crock-pot meal. (Without a recipe to guide me)
(I forgot to take a pretty picture while we were eating so this is a picture of the leftover for my husbands lunch)